Friday, July 17, 2009

Accidental Chinese!


I never measure anything when it comes to cooking. It's kind of my rule to guesstimate, as it always tastes a little different and teaches me how to trust my instinct and senses a bit more. The other night I had leftovers from a Monday night dinner party. When my girlfriend came over Wednesday I had to get creative. Over my lunch break at work, I bought a quarter pound of fresh shiitake mushrooms at the local farmers market in the park blocks downtown. (I have this secret love affair with farmers markets. There is something that entirely excites me about fresh produce and the limitless possibilities...) On my bike ride home, I swooped up a bottle of nice organic sulfite free wine and garlic. Once home, I popped the cork immediately, threw on a bit of thievery corporation, and let the flow of free style begin. I sliced the shiitakes and minced the garlic. In a sauce pan I heat up coconut oil and threw in the garlic and a bit of chopped ginger root. Once slightly brown and smelling quite inviting, I tossed in the shiitakes. I remembered I had leftover bok choy with ginger and almonds, I threw those in as well. For the bulk, I added leftover quinoa/brown rice mix. Once all in the pan, I poured hazelnut milk over the concoction and sprinkled a bit of rosemary, parsley, chili flakes and wah lah! Accidental Chinese food, that turned out delicious!

Well I am at it, I mine as well tell you why this is also beneficial to your health.

Shiitake Mushrooms are a symbol of longevity in Asia due to their health promoting properties and medicinal uses, used for more than 6,000 years! Also high in protein. (18%)

"Recent studies have traced shiitakes' legendary benefits to an active compound contained in these mushrooms called lentinan. Among lentinan's healing benefits is its ability to power up the immune system, strengthening its ability to fight infection and disease. Against influenza and other viruses, lentinan has been shown to be even more effective than prescription drugs; it even improves the immune status of individuals infected with HIV, the virus that can cause AIDS." Taken from one of my favorite websites: http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Lentinan, derived from shiitakes, has also been used to treat diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibrocystic breast disease, and other conditions with impressive results.

Again, those ingredients were:
Shiitake Mushrooms
Ginger
Garlic
Bok Choy
Brown Rice/Quinoa cooked together
Hazelnut milk
Roasted Almonds (However I would probably use cashews next time)
Coconut Oil
Fresh Herbs of choosing and chili flakes
Maybe some green onions?

Try it, I dare you. :)

No comments: