Friday, July 17, 2009

Seattle Fashion Week Networking Mixer 3.19.09



Gabe Choy asked me to write a small piece on what I remember from the first fashion week mixer to practice a bit of journalism. This was collected and revised from notes I jotted down on a napkin during the train ride back to Portland that weekend in March.

Seattle Fashion Week Networking Mixer @ Amber 3.19.09; Rachel’s Perspective
"I arrived to Seattle, Thursday afternoon, by a thought provoking train ride from Portland, Oregon. From the King Station, I wandered my way by foot on the incline towards the city center. My first stop was Pike Street market. I sat in an all appropriate Seattle’s Best coffee shop, diagonally facing the bay. Sipping on an Americano, observing the buzz of workers and tourists; I was reminded of the beauty of travel and the quirky perspective I often thirst for. The initial reason I had the honor of being in the Emerald City, was to attend the first Seattle Fashion Week networking party for 09’. I was invited to attend with Gabriel Choy, the executive producer, as a model and his personal guest.

Two hours later I checked into the Moore hotel on 2nd and Virginia, where I relaxed and began the process of getting "glamorous". Gabe picked me up from the lobby at 6pm. We arrived early to the Amber Lounge in the heart of Belltown on 1st avenue, to have a drink and make sure things were in order. One Cadillac Margarita and Watermelon Kamikaze later, we headed up the stairs. Away from the dimly lit bar by the fire, we stepped up to the secluded jungle like VIP lounge. Under the green ambiance, we set up posters and mapped out the space. A handful of Gabe’s staff arrived to set up the check in tables and lay out Fashion week cards.

Luis the photographer, was one of the first guests to arrive. He kindly greeted me with his warm smile and few words about his background, before he began documenting the night. [ http://www.luisongpinstudio.com/ / http://www.streetpaparazzi.com/events/20090319/index.html ] Models, sponsors, photographers and designers began trickling in shortly after 7pm. The guests ordered their drinks to smooth out awkward hesitation, proceeding to approach one another to exchange compliments and business cards.

The dress I wore turned out to be a great conversation starter; an elegant long black one shouldered Greek goddess gown created by Portland designer, Carolyn Hart. It only felt appropriate to represent talent from my home base.

Thurston the photographer, was one such individual to approach and inquire about the dress. This led to a series of conversations about the industry and local scene. Mid conversation, Thurston decided that it would be a good idea to run to his car and pull out his lighting umbrella. He returned and took over a corner of the lounge. Incorporating the black leather couches, he created a makeshift studio for willing participants. [http://www.pleasantpictures.com/]

After everyone seemed to have their fill of introductions and small talk, the crew streamed out clusters at a time. A few blocks away, down a steep street, Venom night club became the after party. This monthly ‘GoldenTicket’ party for Dlist Magazine, conveniently enough, collaborated with/and in honor of Seattle Fashion Week. “Bottle and Model”, was the theme. We floated into the fog induced air, around 10pm. Visually stimulated by the chic white flowing fabric hanging from the ceiling and dazzling lighting effects, I took up a post against the wall in middle of the rectangular layout. The dance floor began to fill, surrounded by coves of lounge booths, models and bottles.

The bass of the music thumped our chests as the networking ended and the party began. A handful of people went straight for the dance floor while others went straight for the bar. On the far end of the floor, you could find the VIP section and a stage with a camera. Masses would line up, cram on stage and get their photo taken. Immediately the shots projected on the wall of the club.

A few social birds brought me drinks, and the relaxation flowed through me. As the hours passed, shouting in ear exchanges, laughs and a little bouncing to the music, the capacity brimmed to the point where I felt much like a sardine. Packed and barely able to move, Gabe and I decided it was time to check out and move on. We stumbled upon See Sound, a fresh zen like lounge, on Blanchard street, bumping techno/house pop remixes. Broad casted on the built-in flat screen TV, supermodels walked the catwalk to the beat of the music. Much less crowded and a dance floor that was begging our attention, we let loose to the music. Freedom!
Once the legs grew tired, we took a moment to recollect and take advantage of the red couches. Flowers and candles on the table for our viewing pleasure, we bobbed our head to the beat.
When the lights turned on, it was time to retire. We left with smiles on our faces as Gabe walked me to the lobby of the Moore hotel, where I proceeded to comfortably pass out in the safety of my room. Ah sweet success! Seattle fashion scene is a beautiful thing. Vibrant and quickly blossoming, it was a pleasure to behold. I can hardly imagine what's to come during fashion week..."




No comments: