Monday, July 20, 2009

The details that create the canvas

I have a couple big shoots coming up. This Saturday I've been invited to a swimwear shoot on a yacht at the coast. This is an agency shoot, meaning all models attending are signed. There will be an agent accompanying the shoot, and my chances of getting signed are pretty high. No pressure or anything to feel like I am in top shape in less than a week. Whew...

In my previous post I mentioned that modeling from the heart out is where my own personal success lies. I would like to elaborate and share what I am doing to prepare a week before a big shoot. This not only helps me document but also holds me accountable.

Call me insane, but this is what works for me and creates the canvas for me to feel at my best. The tricky balance, especially when modeling swimwear is to be lean, sculpted, yet not too skinny or "hard," to retain the lovely womanly curves.

This past Saturday the 18th, I began my morning with a power vinyasa hot yoga session. I decided this weekend would be a perfect detoxification opportunity. I had purposely left it free and had no plans to travel. -Lately this type of weekend has proven quite rare. I made the decision to go all out and fast on the lemonade master cleanse for one day. http://themastercleanse.org/

It was fairly easy, though I do love food, so I had to preoccupy my time in different ways. Also worth noting, it becomes a little tricky to kick it with friends when fasting. This knocks off two of the most common activities shared when hanging out. Drinking and eating. It just induces a bit of creativity. Plus the energy level is a bit slower. I even quit coffee for two days! For me that is basically a phenomenon.

The space to myself gave me time to rest, read, write, meditate and observe. This feeds my soul and prepares my heart and spirit for any challenge. I spent the afternoon walking around the Saturday market with my pup Ruby, looking at crafts and chatting with people. At one point I sat on a bench under the sun in the food court area, reading my book for almost two hours. -wow talk about discipline. A kind soul named 'Chai' running the massage booth next to me, stuck up conversation and offered me a glass of his home brewed Kombucha. Since this is a detoxifying cell stimulating tea, I indulged gratefully.

After I'd had enough of the food smells and overstimulated by people, I drove up to the rose garden. I found a peaceful nook under a tree and took a nap. Friends called, but my body was just so into the idea of resting, I passed on the opportunities.

The next day I broke the fast with a spinach, raspberry, vega mix, and water smoothie. My girlfriend convinced me to float down the river with her that afternoon. So I packed carrots, apple, walnuts, and a grapefruit. The river float was amazing, and a lot more work than I could have imagined. First of all, since it was last minute, my floating device consisted of two $2 child size 30inch hot pink tubes. I am sure it was quite the site, as I positioned my legs on one and my shoulders on the other. The rapids were mild, but quite the challenge to an unsecured wobbly device in shallow sharp rock infested water. I made it three hours later with only one major crash and burn that cost me one tube and a sandal.

Once home, my hunger was pretty serious after such a wet and wild afternoon. I cooked mung beans, shittake mushrooms, and a quinoa/brown rice mix. This hit the spot just right. Today marked the beginning of a new week, and I am choosing to be ultra in-tune with my exercise and diet this week. There is nothing quite like the thought of being confident in a bikini for an agency shoot, to give you motivation to stay disciplined.

I began the day biking to work and drinking another raz, spinach, vega, water smoothie. Snacked on grapefruit and walnuts, followed by a spinach salad lunch with avocado and raw apple cider vinegar and lemon for the dressing. Tons of water and green/herbal tea. Later in the afternoon, towards the end of the work day, I'll heat up a bit of the leftovers from last night. That will conclude my eating for the day except maybe a few fruits and veggies. I find that skipping what most people consider dinner, knocks off weight quickly. Our bodies are trained to desire food at this time, though it's really the most unnecessary time to eat.

Tonight I will take a run, once the air cools down a bit. Tuesday and Thursday I will do hot yoga at my studio. Wednesday I will bike and run. Friday I will rest, and Saturday before the shoot I will take another quick run. Between the invigorated exercise and careful eating, my muscle sculpture and energy level should be optimum for Saturday's shoot.

A point to note, as I know my mother reads this and will immediately worry that I am not getting enough protein or eating enough in general. Please keep in mind, I've done lots of experimenting on when I feel my best, and this is what works for me presently. Besides, this is the week before action, so think of it similarly to how a professional athlete train week before game time.

Wish me luck!

No comments: